Get ready to make your bid! On Saturday, Dec. 3, the larger than life, 10-foot-tall art guitars that have lined The Sunset Strip for the past year will be auctioned for charity, with proceeds benefitting the Los Angeles Youth Network, which provides outreach, food, emergency shelter, transitional living and educational enrichment programs for homeless adolescents; West Hollywood Arts & Cultural Commission to further support public art and artists on The Sunset Strip; and the West Hollywood Library. The auction will take place at Julien’s Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery (and online at www.julienslive.com) beginning at 2 p.m.
GuitarTown on The Sunset Strip is a public art exhibit celebrating the people and places that have shaped the legendary music boulevard. More than 20 ten-foot Gibson art guitars have lined the 1.6-mile boulevard since August 2010.
The guitars celebrated various aspects of The Sunset Strip and its history and influence, including pieces honoring Slash, The Doors, Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne, Brian Wilson and Cheech & Chong to more abstract guitars that played upon the architecture, nightlife and music experience on the boulevard. The guitars were displayed in prominent and historic locations on The Sunset Strip, including the Whisky A Go-Go, The Roxy Theatre, The Comedy Store, Andaz hotel (former “Riot Hyatt”) and at the main entrances to The Sunset Strip. A handful of the guitars were also signed by the influential musicians they were inspired by.
“These guitars celebrated the boulevard’s history while also giving local artists the opportunity to showcase their talents in a one-of-a-kind setting,” noted Sunset Strip Business Association Executive Director Todd Steadman. “The art guitars added to The Sunset Strip experience, and we are pleased that the proceeds from the GuitarTown charity auction will benefit and inspire countless individuals in the Los Angeles area and beyond.”
The full list of artists and guitars included in the auction includes:
- “Prince Of Darkness” celebrating Ozzy Osbourne. Created by Nic Adams. Guitar signed by Ozzy Osbourne and Slash.
- “Dr. Feelgood” celebrates iconic Sunset Strip rockers and 2011 Sunset Strip Music Festival honorees Motley Crue. Created by Timothy Teruo Watters. Guitar signed by Tommy Lee, Mick Mars, Nikki Sixx and Vince Neil.
- “Post Cheech & Chong” is a celebration of the comedy duo who got their start at The Roxy Theatre. Guitar signed by Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong.
- “Slash Guitar” celebrates the legendary guitarist and 2010 Sunset Strip Music Festival honoree. Created by Ron English. Guitar signed by Slash and Ron English.
- “Good Time Tonite” celebrates Peter Frampton. Created by Anne Olsen Daub. Guitar signed by Peter Frampton.
- “Good Vibrations” celebrates Southern California icon Brian Wilson. Created by Lauren Evans. Guitar signed by Brian Wilson.
- “Rosas” is a portrait of one of the most famous Sunset Strip girl bands: The Runaways. Created by Sonia Lopez-Chavez. Guitar signed by Cheri Curie.
- “Mickey’s Garden” is an homage to the notorious Mickey Cohen. Created by Mark Mahoney. Guitar signed by tattoo artist Mark Mahoney.
- “Timescape” abstract guitar created by compiling images and references to infamous Sunset Strip music legends. Created by Mads Anderson.
- “Jimi Rocks” painted guitar celebrating guitarist Jimi Hendrix. Created by Bruce Bermudez.
- “Star Chords” tribute to Lou Adler, Mario Maglieri and Elmer Valentine, who were instrumental in creating the live music scene on The Sunset Strip with the creation of the Roxy Theatre, Whisky A Go-Go and Rainbow. Created by Jodi Bohassi.
- “Light My Fire” mosaic tiled guitar honoring The Doors. Created by Robin Bott.
- “Star Struck” mixed media guitar that plays upon The Sunset Strip’s ties to celebrity and creativity. Created by David “Rudy” Gardner.
- “The Conscious Mind” utilizes surreal imagery to reflect on the mind and the visual landscape inspired by music. Created by Elizabeth Merrit Kong.
- “Candy Stripe” is a jewel-encrusted guitar celebrating Katy Perry. Created by Erin Lareau.
- “Summer Of Love” is a colorful, bejeweled guitar honoring the ‘60s. Created by Juliana Martinez.
- “Path of Most Resistance” examines the built environment on The Strip. Created by art collective Opus 13.
- “The Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo” is a playful, interactive work celebrating Oingo Boingo. Created by John Ottinger.
- “Crusin: Sunset Strip” is a sleek, colorful abstract resin work mimicking the nighttime landscape of The Sunset Strip. Created by R. Nelson Parrish.
- “Making Headlines” is a painted visual compilation of past newspaper headlines from The Sunset Strip and Gibson. Created by Leilani Yosick and Dan Calandro.
- “Dressed To Kill” celebrates KISS. Created by James Rutman.
- “Mystical Musicians” abstract guitar that reflects on the creative process. Created by Jon Planas.
- “Ad Lib” montage reflects the diverse styles of music that exist on The Sunset Strip. Created - “Trigger Happy Jack” uses bold imagery to celebrate the elixir of nightlife. Created by design firm Signature Creative.
GuitarTown on The Sunset Strip is supported by the Sunset Strip Business Association, City of West Hollywood and the West Hollywood Marketing & Visitors Bureau. GuitarTown on The Sunset Strip is administered by the Gibson Foundation, the philanthropic division of Gibson Guitar Corp. For more information, please visit www.gibson.com/sunset-strip, www.thesunsetstrip.com/guitartown and www.gibsonfoundation.org.